Are you ready to take on tobacco?
Across the United States:
- Nearly half a million people (444,000) die each year from tobacco-related diseases.
- Tobacco use is the No. 1 cause of preventable death in the United States.
How is Nebraska Doing?
- 20 percent of Nebraska adults (ages 18 and over) use tobacco
- 24 percent of Nebraska adults (ages 18 and over) are former tobacco users
- 15 percent of Nebraskans under the age of 18 years of age smoke or chew
- 2,000 kids under age 18 become daily smokers each year.
Did you know?
Tobacco increases your risk of:
- Heart disease and stroke by 4 times of that of a non-smoker
- Lung cancer (for men) by 23 times of that of a non-smoker
- Lung cancer (for women) by 13 times of that of a non-smoker
Other biometric measures impacted by tobacco use include:
- Increased blood pressure
- Increased triglyceride levels
- Decreased HDL (good cholesterol) HINT: You want this to be high!
No matter how long you have smoked, chewed, vaped, etc., tobacco, you will reap the benefits of quitting right away. You will immediately feel better, cough less, smell better, save money, have more energy, and your risk for chronic health problems will decrease a little bit (and eventually a lot).
Tips for quitting:
- Track your current tobacco use
- Identify triggers
- Reduce your tobacco use each week
- Establish a quit date
- Select a nicotine replacement product
- Work through each craving
- Take it one day at a time
- Madonna Fit For Work (Fit 2 Quit Program)
- Centers for Disease Control
- American Cancer Society
- American Heart Association
The Fit to Quit program offered by Madonna Fit For Work is designed to help individuals through the process of stopping tobacco use. Contact Fit For Work at 402.420.0002 to find out how your workforce can benefit.